Monday, February 11, 2008

Uphill Battle

Everyone knows that I'm pregnant which is wonderful. I had to have our first baby delivered c-section cause she was breach and refused to turn the right way in the womb...which by the way, this tenacity shows up in her personality in more ways then one now a days

I was thrilled to find out that my doctor's office performs VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) which is not very common to find now a days BUT (there is always a but!)
because of licensing and strict rules their practice can only perform VBACs at Renown, my old stomping grounds for work. That hospital is the only hospital that is NOT a provider with our insurance. The other two in this area are....

So starts the long battle of appeals and calls to the insurance company.
My first call wasn't very encouraging as the customer lady said she hadn't ever seen one successful appeal of this sort go through..bummer

What ever the results, we just want a baby that is healthy. I will gladly take even an extra thumb again. If by some chance this baby does have an extra digit, I'm going to seriously think Andy or I are somehow related to Goliath :)

9 comments:

TimmyMac said...

Few things are as frustrating as negotiating with insurance providers . . . good luck with all that!

laura said...

I think that having a c-section may be easier than trying to negotiate with the insurance company... Vaginal births aren't as glamorous as they have been made out to be... but I can understand wanting the experience under your belt;) You better get on them, you only have like 6 months to go!

digapigmy said...

"i can understand wanting the experience under your belt"

really? you can understand the desire to pass something roughly the weight and darn near the size of a watermelon through an orafice ordinarily a fraction of that size? this is an experience that women feel like they are "missing out" on? maybe we should just suggest tim pass that stone so he doesn't feel like less of a man than the guys who have passed theirs the old-fashioned way.

i will never understand women.

erica - now that i've made light of it, i will be praying that God provides a way for you to deliver the baby in the best, most healthy and preferable way possible.

laura said...

I can "understand" because back in my youth, I birthed 2 children- au natural... but ask me today, I would take an epidural or planned c-section in a heart-beat.

TimmyMac said...

(sniff) . . . I'm touched . . . when I finally pass this stone Diga, I'm going to name him after you!

Erica said...

Tim- thanks, I figure I have nothing to loose so I'll do the appeal

Laura- I think it the c-section will be easier in the long run as well

Digapigmy- I think it's just an anticipated outcome that you come to expect growing up. But your right, it shouldn't be a right a passage. I have to remind my self that just having a baby into the world IS wonderful in itself and needs to be enough. Thank you for the prayers. Good comment

Erica said...

Tim- thanks, I figure I have nothing to loose so I'll do the appeal

Laura- I think it the c-section will be easier in the long run as well

Digapigmy- I think it's just an anticipated outcome that you come to expect growing up. But your right, it shouldn't be a right a passage. I have to remind my self that just having a baby into the world IS wonderful in itself and needs to be enough. Thank you for the prayers. Good comment

Jeni said...

Is there an echo in here?

I will be praying that everything goes well with your appeals.

scoeyd said...

Brint - I'm with you. I do not understand the passing a baby club. Business. I will have to add that to my list of things that I don't understand about the weemuns.

Erica - I wonder if there is a DNA test that you can take to see if you have a Nephilim ancestor...