Monday, March 30, 2009

Rose Club

I am a fan of roses. I don't have very many just 5 in the front. They were already planted when I bought the house. So I'm kinda've learned how to prune but decided to take a short class. There was a free one offered at Idlewild park hosted by the Rose Club in the park's rose garden on Saturday.

So off I went with baby in stroller and Andy followed on his bike with Morgan to go to the IdleWild Park. I was for sure the youngest one there (there was another girl maybe a bit older) and I probably owned the least amount of roses. You could sit down with any number of the rose club members who were pruning roses in various areas. It was amazing some of the devotions these people had to there gardens. When asked how much time I put into my gardening, I said just a little here and there I'm busy with my other hobby and with that I smiled at Caden. Talking about one's garden was for sure an object as some people would describe how they have an enormous garden with 1 acre of just roses!!! oh my!!!!

The term everyone's a critic came to mean something new. One person gave a demonstration and was saying how you need to cut 1/4 of an inch above the rose bud and then later the other teacher said no not 1/4 of an inch and 1/8 of an inch!! With all the seriousiness like that 1/4 inch could mean the death of the plant! I had to hide snickering on that one. I was amazed though some older gentlemen starting to cry when he was talking about how his bulbs got planted in the wrong area of the garden. Such devotion. Just a different type of nerdiness :) When the speaker person was talking how with budget cuts the park wouldn't be able to maintain the rose garden there was this gasp in the air from everyone. It was funny....

Amazing with age how one takes on hobbies to fill one's day. I could be one of those ladies in 50 years :)

5 comments:

laura said...

Oh my gosh, I would not have been able to keep my snickering to myself. This would make an awesome reality TV show. Oh the drama!

TimmyMac said...

This was awesome . . . You have to live it first if you want to tell about it and this sounded like a real hoot!

Destro Jones said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erica said...

Laura- you're funny, Laura.

Plucky- it was an experience. I think I'll do it again next year :)

Jeni said...

I probably would have done more than snicker to myself-- I probably would have sarcastically made a melodramatic statement to whoever I came with-- and I would accidentally say it loud enough for somebody to hear me and they'd get offended... I'm kind of a jerk like that... :)