Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Turning of the times



I work with c0-workers that are all 40 years older than me. I'm the token 'young person' there. 2 years ago, I took my hubby to a work party and after we left for the evening he remarked that we were by far the youngest people there...get the picture. I smile and try not to laugh out loud when my co-workers around me talk about their 'kids' and they are exactly the same age as me and in the same stage of life, raising kids.

Well- it has started, my mother has long warned me about the dynamics of the baby boomer's retiring. This year, 4 of my co-workers are retiring because they qualify for medicare benefits. I congratulate them and then tell them to leave some $$ for the younger generations....please. Four people may not sound like allot but considering that nursing is already short, who is going to fill the absence?

I think I already know what my place of employment will say..'we don't need to replace them, just work hard...and by the way don't collect any over time.." ooh well

This isn't meant to be a nursing commercial BUT anyone want to be a nurse? You make great money and just have to endure the first 2-3 years of pure chaos while getting your hospital experience before you can get a 'normal hour' job AND after being around all sorts of smells and bodily fluids, changing a baby is a piece of cake. :)




8 comments:

digapigmy said...

i can assure you that you didn't miss your calling in the advertising world. it's not really a good commercial when you discuss 2-3 years of chaos and a wide variety of smells and bodily fluids.

my profession is constant chaos and there are a lot of smells. not too many bodily fluids, though.

Murdoc said...

Keep it that way Brint & you'll stay out of trouble.

digapigmy said...

good advice, ben.

laura said...

Sorry Erica, I tried to do it, I really did. But nursing school is no place for a mom with 2 little babies at the time. Oh and I have this gag reflex that goes off without warning when I get a whiff of the bodily fluids you are referring to. Maybe someday I will make my mommy proud. But for now, I have plenty of chaos, definitely a wide variety of smells, and yes even bodily fluids in my current position as a domestic engineer.

scoeyd said...

Interesting - the picture in the ad reminds me of Scully from the X-Files. She was a doctor.

Jeni said...

You know, as tempting as that sounds, my patience is nowhere near the saint level. So thanks, but no thanks. I'm busy over here working on my book. (Yeah right!)

Erica said...

gosh, no takers! So bummed. I'm relieved that I didn't miss my calling in advertising, Brint.
That's quite o.k. Laura and Jeni,one can find chaos anywhere.
Scoey- I'll take your word for it as I've never seen the x-files

No(dot dot)el said...

nursing and teaching i think are two of the most important, and underpaid jobs in our society. you know what you are doing a damn good job at both right now erica. teachin the wee one at home and holding down the fort at that ever changing office of yours. kudos to you.